Amongst all the things you carry day to day, have you ever wondered or thought about adding a flashlight to the mix of it. You might be thinking about what an EDC flashlight is and perhaps why you should need one. EDC is an acronym that stands for Everyday Carry.
You might already have an idea of the stuff you carry in your pockets, and jackets, every single day. Is there a flashlight in it?
Now imagine yourself in a city, or perhaps you live there, in public transport, an elevator, airport, where a total blackout can happen. A perfectly lit place can turn up to be dark in the strangest of times. Life might happen even without your expectation, and all you could need is a flashlight!
You don’t have the slightest idea which scenario you might be in. You might be in complete darkness or low light, or you are in an unsafe place, and all you could need is a flashlight to defend yourself. Do you see why you need a flashlight?
So now you want to carry a flashlight! You have checked the Internet to see the perfect type for your needs depending on the size and other factors considered. Still, you don’t know your best option because you are confused and bombarded with acronyms, numbers, and terminologies. As a result, you don’t know the type of flashlight to get due to their varying purposes—no need to be in despair.
This buying guide has been put together to shine some light on the best EDC flashlights you can get that will meet your everyday needs and purposes, depending on their unique features and advantages they possess. Let’s ride on!
8 Best EDC Flashlight Reviews
Below are some of the best EDC flashlights and their reviews
Fenix E12 Flashlight Pocket-Sized bright flashlight
This excellent flashlight is basically and specially designed for your everyday use.
Versatility: This is because it is compactly designed, and it fits perfectly in the hands and, therefore, can be packed anywhere. It is a versatile flashlight that can be used by anybody, anywhere, and anytime.
Batteries: This waterproof flashlight is built and powered by AA or AAA batteries, so there is no need to worry about battery replacement often. The AA battery provides 130 lumens, which is the highest mode. This lumen can provide illumination in the darkest of places.
Output Modes: This amazing flashlight alternates in three separate output modes. It includes the 130 lumens 50 lumens and 8 lumens low mode, which lasts for hours. So there is no need to worry about the light intensity at various times, depending on what you are using it for at that particular moment as you can cycle around modes.
It is also an excellent tactical flashlight because of the comfortable, secure grip it offers.
- Water Proof and Impact Resistant: This precisely crafted flashlight has a rubber O-ring seals that help to keep it waterproof and claims an IPX8 rating. Therefore, it can be submerged to a certain depth of water. It has been reviewed to last for up to 30 minutes. It is also corrosion, abrasions, impact-free because it is made with aircraft-grade aluminum and potentially anodized.
- Tall-Switch Interface: This tactical flashlight is designed with a comfortable, secure grip with a forward-facing tall-switch for activation and mode selection. It has a three-mode brightness output. The light features can all be accessed using a single hand!
- Every Day Carry Flashlight: This excellent flashlight can be used daily because it utilizes a single AA battery to generate 130 lumens in its highest mode. Therefore, it can be used anywhere, anytime. There is no excuse not to own one!!!
- Batteries: The flashlight uses AA or AAA batteries. There is no need to be troubled about battery replacement because the batteries are always at reach.
- Compact: It is lightweight and hence can be packed in anywhere you go. It perfectly fits into a backpack, suitcase, even the pocket.
- Brand name: Fenix Flashlight
- Weight: 3.2 ounces
- Model: E12R4BK-B
- Type of bulb: LED
- Luminous Flux: 130 lumens
- Colour: Black
- It can be used every day for different purposes: This can be used in your truck, your gear, kitchen, bathroom and can also be put in the pocket. If you are a hiker, this is your best pick. If you want to do a little pool lighting or just want to dive at night, this could be your best pick to.
- It offers different brightness selection: Brightness varies according to the lumen activated. Each of the selection last for longer hours unlike other flashlights that just has only one output mode
- This flashlight is light weighted and therefore can be carried anywhere
- It can be used as a tactical flashlight: It feels sturdy in hand and offers a comfortably secure grip
- It is not costly
- It does not have a simple reversible pocket clip
- It gets warm in the brightest mode over time
Streamlight Stylus Pro EDC LED Penlight Flashlight
If you are looking for a sleekly pen-style EDC pocket flashlight, then the Streamlight Stylus Pro EDC flashlight is your best pick.
Durability: This penlight comfortably fits in your pocket; there is no need to worry about it breaking because it is constructed with aircraft-grade aluminum. Hence it is durable and abrasion-resistant. You can count on this flashlight at work when others are stuck in the dark; you are stylishly illuminating your way ahead.
Convenience: It has a pocket clip for your convenience, so there is no need to worry about dropping it accidentally.
It has been tested and provides excellent brightness and long-range light. This could be the best introductory flashlight if you are just new to EDC.
- Water Proof and Impact Resistant: This sleek penlight flashlight has all its openings o-ring sealed and hence can be used in water. It is also impact resistant, and this is due to the aluminum alloy case
- Push-button tail switch: This tactical feature allows a momentary-on and hence provides a one-handed operation from the tail side switch interface. By holding it, you can access all the light features
- Light Output: This feature makes it one of the reasons to be used daily because it provides a longer light range using 100 lumens of light output with a 950-candela peak beam intensity and 62-meter beam distance.
- Batteries: It is powered with two AAA batteries, which provides a runtime of 8 hours
- Compact: It is lightweight and hence can be packed everywhere you go. It perfectly fits into your purse, pockets, and so on
- Holster and removable pocket clip: Holster makes belt and bag attachment possible, and the removable pocket clip helps to attach the flashlight in any way direction.
- Brand name: Streamlight
- Model: 66118
- Weight: 1.6 ounces
- Type of bulb: White LED
- Luminous Flux: 100 lumens
- Colour: Black w/White LED
- It can be used every day for different purposes: This flashlight is not bulky; hence it can be used every time. It is quicker to get out than your phone camera. It is bright enough to be used in the dark in the middle of nowhere.
- It can be used as a tactical flashlight: If you are a corrections officer, this could be your best pick as it fits into your pocket perfectly and sufficiently illuminate the dark for observation without blinding or waking your residents.
- It is durable: Despite its small size, it is durable as it can also be when submerged in water and its batteries last longer than most of the largest ones. It is highly preferred if you are new to EDC.
- Longer light range: It has a long light range. Previous customers have reviewed it to have a light range greater than 100 yards.
- It is costly
This dope flashlight has a nice name added to it. Thor! If you catch my drift.
Light: This flashlight torch is often called, gives you 1070 lumens of light. This tells you how bright it can be and how much distance it will cover.
Usage: It can therefore be used for outdoor activities such as camping, cycling, and swimming – yes! Not only is it water-resistant, but it is also waterproof and for indoor activities.
Modes: This rugged design operates on 5 modes of light selection, including firefly, low, mid, high, and turbo modes. It also provides a means of self-defense because it has a strobe mode that can be activated just by double-tapping.
How amazing can this just be…?
- Waterproof and water-resistant: It is sealed nicely with an O-rings seal that creates a resistance keeping liquids out, making it resistance, and it also claims an IPX8 rating, which makes it waterproof to at least 2 meters depth.
- Stainless Steel Bezel: The led emitter is covered with a stainless steel bezel that can be used for self-defense.
- Brightness: Many flashlights claim a lot of lumens but are not close to being bright. A ThorFire VG15S flashlight has brightness when operated in the high modes and Turbo. It is even bright during the day. It gives 1070 lumens in the turbo mode.
- Every Day Carry Flashlight: This flashlight comes in handy. It can be used on a daily basis. It is easy to pack, and it has a pocket clip that gives a firm and comfortable feel without worrying about losing it. You are not trying enough if you can’t find anywhere to pack this flashlight.
- Batteries: It utilizes a 18650 rechargeable battery and hence lasts longer
- Brand name: ThorFire
- Model: VG15
- Weight: 7 ounces
- Type of bulb: LED
- Luminous Flux: 1070 Lumen
- Colour: Black
- It can be used every day for different purposes: This flashlight is compact enough to be in your everyday carry packs.
- It can be for self-defense: This rugged tactical flashlight can be used to disengage and disarm an attacker when the strobe mode is activated.
- It is durable: It is durable because of so many wonderful features such as batteries that last longer, waterproof, and resistant.
- It is solid and bright: This is one of the major reasons why this flashlight is being used for outdoor activities and indoor activities. At higher mode, it covers a lighting distance of 656ft with just 1070 lumens. It also has a sturdy feel on the palm, hence a secure grip
- It can be costly
J5 Tactical Pro EDC flashlight
This is one of the best-rugged flashlights you can ever get in a lifetime. With the way it has been designed, it is primarily efficient as a means to defend yourself in the dark from any unseen forces.
Light: This flashlight is extremely bright that it could dazzle someone in just a single flash. It optimizes 300 lumens light intensity, which can cover up to 600 ft away from you.
Battery: It uses a single AA battery or a 14500 rechargeable battery, which lasts longer.
This compact flashlight can be your best pick if you want to upgrade to a more convenient tactical flashlight.
- Water-resistant:This compact flashlight has been reviewed to be tough and hard to destroy. It can be submerged in water, and it will still work quite alright
- Ultra bright and focus adjustable: Most incandescent lights are not as bright as this awesome flashlight. This LED flashlight is ten times brighter than incandescent lights because it has a light output of 300 lumens that is capable of lighting a whole complete darkroom. It has a good focus range as the beam can spread light covering two football fields.
- Compact with three modes of light selection: This flashlight can be sure to fit anywhere due to its compactness. It fits well in the pocket, purse, suitcase, backpack, and so on. It has three modes of light selection, including the high, low, and strobe. The power button is located at the back, so there is no need to be groping in the dark, looking for how to power it on.
- Batteries: It utilizes a single AA battery or a 14500 rechargeable battery, and hence it lasts longer than an average flashlight.
- Brand name: J5 tactical
- Model: V1-Pro Black
- Weight: 2.4 ounces
- Type of bulb: LED
- Luminous Flux: 300 lumens
- Colour: Black
- It can be used every day for different purposes: most of the outdoor activities and indoor activities involving camping, fishing, dog walking, biking, and so on can be done using this flashlight.
- It can be used for self-defense: This rugged tactical flashlight can give you an upper hand when you are faced with an attacker by just activating the strobe mode with a single hand
- It is durable: It is durable because of so many wonderful features, such as batteries that last longer, waterproof, and resistant. This makes it effective for being in the rain, snow, or any unforeseen circumstances.
- It is solid and bright: With this feature, this flashlight has an advantage over other average flashlights because of its ultra-brightness, which is enough to blind an assailant for a split second. You might be in the woods in one snowy night, which might be a long walk to your doorstep and all you could need is this flashlight, which will provide all the brightness you ever needed
- It is easy to carry: It has a sturdy feel that helps to give a firm, secure grip, and also a pocket clip that fits properly into the pocket or belt without any inconvenience or obstructions.
- It might not have a guaranteed weather resistance
Some dress or uniform pocket space is limited in size, and if you wish to carry a flashlight still; why not go for a keychain flashlight that can easily be attached to the keys that you carry all around?
Here is a secret, Olight I1R2EOS is a miniaturized flashlight that can fit perfectly well into your keychain without any obstruction because of its being small and lightweight.
Light: It has a maximum lighting capacity of 150 lumens, which is enough to illuminate in the dark than not to have a single flashlight and simple power control to prevent you from groping in the dark.
Battery: It uses a rechargeable battery, which takes a maximum of 75 minutes to charge fully without disassembling the light.
- Waterproof: It claims an IPX8 rating making it waterproof up to 2 meters
- Brightness: It is made up of a 5-sided glowing CSP LED that can give a maximum light output of 150 lumens with a light distance of 131 feet.
- Compact with 2 modes light selection: This flashlight can be sure to fit anywhere due to its compactness. It fits well in your keychain and watch pocket. It alternates between two modes, including the 5 lumens and 150 lumens.
- Batteries: It uses a Li-ion rechargeable battery that can be charged using a Micro-USB charging port. It does not disassemble the light
- Brand name: Olight
- Model: iIR 2 EOS
- Weight: 0.46 ounces
- Type of bulb: CSP LED
- Luminous Flux: 150 lumens
- Colour: Black
- It can be used everyday use for different purposes: This flashlight fits perfectly into your keychain and hence can be used every day for different purposes as long as your key is with you
- It is durable: It is impact, abrasion-resistant because it has an aluminum alloy body
- It is easy to carry: This is because it is dainty and lightweight
- It is not blazing bright compared to a full flashlight, but it serves its purpose well
Streamlight ProTac EDC Flashlight
If you are looking for a more advanced pen-style EDC flashlight, this could be your best pick. As compared to its younger brother, the Streamlight Stylus Pro, this flashlight also offers portability.
Light: This sleek flashlight is more compact and provides more power of 250 lumens.
Function: It also has a multi-functional push-button tactical tail switch with a momentary power on and also a strobe mode that is not always present in a lightweight flashlight.
Grip: It is gentle to the palm as it is built sturdy and provides a firm and secure grip thanks to the rubber grip
- Water-resistant and Impact Resistance: This sleek flashlight claims IPX7 ratings and can be submerged in water for about a minute. This super durable flashlight is using an aircraft-grade aluminum that makes it impact resistance.
- Bright white C4 Led technology: It uses this technology to provide a maximum and bright light output of 250 lumens that runs for 2 hours and low light output with a longer time of 18 lumens and 43 hours. It rivals bigger flashlight with this feature
- Compact with 3 modes light selection: This flashlight can be sure to fit anywhere due to its compactness. It also uses a one power button with three clicks, three light functions, and features including high, strobe, and low.
- Anti-roll head design
- Batteries: It utilizes two alkaline batteries for maximum light output.
- Brand name: Streamlight
- Model: 88033
- Weight: 3.2 ounces
- Type of bulb: C4 LED
- Luminous Flux: 250 lumens
- Colour: Black
- It can be used every day for different purposes: This flashlight is not bulky; hence it can be used anytime you need it. It is compact enough to be packed in your everyday carry pack. It can be used by anyone in law enforcement, security, emergency medical services, and even for personal use
- It can be used as a tactical flashlight: The presence of the strobe mode can be used for signaling and disorienting an attacker, and it lasts for 4 hours.
- It is durable: It is built using an aircraft-grade aluminum that provides it with a super durable advantage. This is one of the reasons why this flashlight is impact resistant
- Longer light range: If you find yourself in a dark open area, this flashlight is all you need because it has a beam that gives a bright hotspot and a throw up to 25 meters
- It has an unbreakable pocket clip: You can attach the flashlight in any direction you want without fear of breakage or losing the flashlight.
- If you are not careful with the power button, you might end up damaging it.
Nitecore Tup Flashlight
If you are just getting familiar with the field of EDC and you need a flashlight that is lightweight and can display all real-time information of a flashlight, then Nitecore Tup Flashlight is your best option.
Display: This flashlight uses an OLED display to give real-time information.
Light: With a maximum light output of 1000 lumens, you comfortably get all the light you need for every single task you perform. With this high lumen, you can dazzle an assailant with just a flash.
Modes: It operates with 5 modes depending on the light selection. The best part of this lightweight flashlight that is not commonly found in other flashlights is the presence of 2 lockout modes that prevent accidental activation when left in your pocket or bag.
- Dual side Switches: It conveniently allows you to switch between 5 brightness levels, which include Turbo, which gives 1000 lumens, high, which gives 200 lumens, mid, which gives 65 lumens, low, which gives 15 lumens, and ultralow with just 1 lumen. It gives direct access to Turbo and ultralow
- Two user modes: With this flashlight, you enjoy a daily mode activation, which gives you a clear illumination for any long outdoor activities and a demo mode activation, which allows you to keep your battery for short time usage.
- OLED Display: This feature gives real-time information about the brightness level, mode, lumen, battery voltage, runtime, and lockout status
- Batteries: It utilizes a 1200mAh Li-ion battery that can provide a usage level up to 70 hours in just a charge.
- Brand name: NITECORE
- Model: Tup
- Weight: 1.88 ounces
- Type of bulb: CREE XP-L HD V6 LED
- Luminous Flux: 1000 lumens
- Colour: Grey
- It is digitalized: If you are new to EDC, the OLED display of this flashlight provides you with adequate information on your usage routines
- It is lightweight: This keychain flashlight fits perfectly without causing any inconveniences or obstruction during usage
- Longer light range: Par adventure you found yourself in a cave, this flashlight provides a maximum throw up 197 yards. So there is no need to be claustrophobic; you have all the light you can ever need to survive.
- Last longer: It lasts longer than some of the full-size flashlight because it has a maximum runtime of 70 hours.
- It is costly
SureFire E2D LED Defender Ultra
If you are into law enforcement and firefighting and you are looking for a flashlight that gives tactical advantage, this is your best pick. Surefire! is one of the best tactical flashlights in the market right now. It is compact, pocket-friendly, and easy to carry anywhere.
Light: It delivers two output levels consisting of 1000 lumens, which are the maximum light, and 5 lumens low in case you want to extend the runtime. This output can be operated using a tail cap switch, which provides you with the light selection you want.
It proves to be tactical because the 1000 lumens is enough to dazzle an attacker in just a flash, and it has a strike bezel and scalloped tail cap that provide additional self-defense capabilities.
- Two output levels: It has a high power output of 1000 lumens for maximum light and also a low power output of 5 lumens for extended runtime
- TIR Lens: This produces a tight beam with a bright hotspot to aid peripheral vision
- Impact8 resistance: It is designed with aircraft-grade aluminum body and anodized for super durabilities
- Crenelated Strike Bezel and scalloped tail cap: This feature protects the lens and provides a mechanism of self-defense
- Batteries: It utilizes 123A batteries.
- Brand name: Surefire
- Model: E2DLU
- Weight: 4 ounces
- Type of bulb: LED
- Luminous Flux: 1000 lumens
- Colour: Black
- It is tactical: Just as its name implies, “defender,” it has features that offer a means to defend yourself in public from an attacker
- Longer light range: If you go hunting and you use this flashlight, be sure to have kill!. This flashlight illuminates your path because it has a beam that gives a bright hotspot that can aid your peripheral vision
- Last longer: It lasts longer with 123A batteries that possess up to 10-year shelf life.
- It is not waterproof
Adding the simplest of the types of flashlights, ranging from a keychain flashlight to a tactical flashlight into your Every Day Carry pack goes a long way in sustaining you in an emergency that can “darken” you out of this world.
Perhaps you are new to the world of EDC, and this buying guide should have given you a lot of insights and provided you with the best EDC flashlights on the market. Therefore, it is our express hope that you find the most suitable flashlight that is best suited for your needs and purposes from the list of flashlights provided.
However, if you have any doubts or objections or you need clarifications regarding some issues, then we earnestly hope that this question & answer section clears all your doubts and gives you more clarification to choosing your best EDC flashlight.
|12 Best Hiking Watches|
|12 Best Energy Drinks|
|12 Best Beach Essentials|
What Does EDC Flashlight Mean?
Everyday Carry flashlight means a small flashlight that usually comes in handy in unexpected situations. Mainly, they are always versatile for everyday use, and they range from key chain flashlights to more advanced ones like tactical flashlights.
What Is the Best EDC Flashlight?
There is no generalized best EDC flashlight. This is because different people have varying opinions about the EDC flashlight. But to get the best EDC flashlight, you must consider different criteria depending on what you need it for, the lumens you desire, and so on. Once you have established good criteria, then you can know which one is the best for you that will suit you perfectly.
Do You Need a Flashlight for EDC?
Yes, you do. A flashlight should always be part of your everyday Carry because you don’t know when you will be stuck in the dark, and all you can ever need at that particular moment is a flashlight.
Why You Should Carry a Flashlight?
There are various reasons why you need to carry a flashlight now. This includes being stuck in the dark; a blackout can occur, a perfectly lit room can become dark all of a sudden, you might need a flashlight for self-defense, and so on. Whatever the reason may be, all you need is just a flashlight
How Bright Are 40,000 Lumens?
This is as bright as a parking lot lights, street lights, roadways, and so on
How Many Lumens Do You Need to Blind Someone?
A flashlight providing over 500 lumens is enough to blind and dazzle someone
Find more about buying flashlights HERE
At this point, there should be no more doubts and objections about the EDC flashlight. Therefore, without further procrastination, the only thing required of you is to implement all you have learned in this guide. You can do more research and choose the flashlight(s) that best suit your needs.
Add a flashlight to your Every Day Carry pack now and be rest assured to light your way up in any form of darkness you might find yourself.
Get more insights on survival on our website.
We recommend you click around to check the flashlights out and get yourself the best flashlight. Ciao for now…!